Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Spiritual Retreat

The past three days we went on a Spiritual Retreat in a compound in the middle of Guatemala City. It was a time for us to relax and recuperate before heading off for our ten day practicum, which we leave for on Saturday. During our time in the compound, we covered a series of five sessions which were: Identity in Christ, Comparison Will Kill You, Forgiveness and Bitterness, Carrying the Name of Jesus and Passions and Giftings. These sessions worked well to reveal to us all as individuals areas in our lives and in our faiths that needed attention, and brought about at least a start to a change in some of these areas. For me personally, I found a lot in what I learned these past few days. I learned a lot about myself, about my friends around me and even more about God. It was a wonderful experience, though difficult at times, working through some issues that have been a part of my life for some time, learning to let go of things that have hurt me, and finding true freedom in God and His almighty love.

This time was greatly beneficial to our teams as well, as it gave us opportunities to work through some tense situations to bring about resolve and restoration of broken relationships. It also aided us to see the unique skill sets and giftings of each member of the group, and such knowledge will be a tremendous help during practicum. In amongst the sessions, we were also giving a fair amount of solo time and free time, which many of us used to further seek out God, freedom and intensive conversations about revelations and realizations. Our interviews for the Discover Internship were also today, and from what I have heard, they all went well and the Directors and Interns have a tough decision ahead of them.

One of the biggest things for me this weekend was started by a quote in my prayer journal that read: "We don't walk spiritually by electric light, but by a hand-held lantern. And a lantern shows only the next step - not several steps ahead." Trying to figure out my future after finishing Discover has been a huge thing on my mind lately, as I don't yet know if I will be offered the internship, or if I'll be able to afford to return to Bible College right away. I don't know if I will be able to get a decent job in my home town or if I'll branch out and move in with my dad in a bigger city to find a better job. Through meditation, prayer, and many conversations, however, the not knowing no longer bothers me. I know God has a plan, and He will reveal it to me in due time, and things will work out for the better in the end.

The next two days we have here will be spent mostly in meetings planning our practicum, and then on Saturday we leave for our ten day practicum, and unfortunately I won't have internet for that so I will not be able to post any updates. When we reach Panajachel after the practicum, I will do my best to fill everyone in on the happenings of practicum. Prayer for our practicums would be very much appreciated, especially as now the other team has lost a member and a member on my team has been having rather serious medical problems. Prayer for good team dynamics and relationships, for smooth operations in the planned ministries and God's guidance as we seek to plan the most effective ways we can be a light and support in this community would be wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment