For starters, the way the children interact with each other is unique, as they have developed a very strong family sense within their community, learning to rely on each other and help each other out. They are also extremely content, happy with the little they own. The faith and sense of hope they possess is encouraging. They are also a lot of fun to play with, especially after nearly two weeks of Spanish school when you are able to communicate fairly well with them. Our visit included a tour of the orphanage, an activity time with the children, where the children were told to find a big kid to cuddle and hug while we watched puppet shows. We also got a chance to dance with the children and pray with them as they got ready for a snack. The only thing that was asked of us during our visit was that we give the children the only thing they really need: our love and attention.
This experience reminded me of my trip to Mexico July 2010 in many ways. In Mexico, I befriended a five year old boy named Olvaldo, with whom I played nearly everyday. At the orphanage here, my little buddy's name was Pedro, and he was only four or five, but he was one of the cutest children I've ever seen. Overall, the experience was fun and enriching. I had been feeling rather sick earlier, as I had a bad allergic reaction to some food, but I am incredibly thankful I did not miss out on this opportunity to share and express God's love with His beautiful little children.
Prayer requests: As we finished Spanish school in Antigua today, we leave for Chimaltenango tomorrow. Prayer for safe travels, health and good community would be appreciated. On a more personal note, I either managed to break a small bone in my foot, or obtain a stress fracture. There isn't anything that can be done for it, but I got crutches today to ease the pressure on my foot, as we do a lot of walking. The crutches have eased the pain quite a bit, but it is difficult to maneuver through the cobblestone streets and uneven sidewalks. Prayer for healing, lessened pain and easier travel would be greatly appreciated. Also, prayer for home lives, families, and situations at home would be appreciated, as there is a lot going on within the lives of every member in Discover and we don't want that to take away from our experiences here and the chances we have to grow and learn.
Prayer requests: As we finished Spanish school in Antigua today, we leave for Chimaltenango tomorrow. Prayer for safe travels, health and good community would be appreciated. On a more personal note, I either managed to break a small bone in my foot, or obtain a stress fracture. There isn't anything that can be done for it, but I got crutches today to ease the pressure on my foot, as we do a lot of walking. The crutches have eased the pain quite a bit, but it is difficult to maneuver through the cobblestone streets and uneven sidewalks. Prayer for healing, lessened pain and easier travel would be greatly appreciated. Also, prayer for home lives, families, and situations at home would be appreciated, as there is a lot going on within the lives of every member in Discover and we don't want that to take away from our experiences here and the chances we have to grow and learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment